Thursday, August 25, 2011

a common ground

Since returning back to SLO, I can't help but feel saddened. My first
week back in the states I visited my parents and we went to Lake Tahoe.
There, we rode jet skis, went to the beach, rode bikes, ate delicious
food, and drank wine. We had a great time, basically making up for the
last two months that I was gone; however, now that I am no longer on
vacation with my parents or living in another country, I feel like I am
missing out on life. I've been in SLO for two days and already its back
to my normal routine, which now, in retrospect, seems so insignificant
and void of meaning. What used to be my favorite place, the so called
happiest place to live, doesn't seem so awesome anymore. True, my last
few days of my trip to South America, I was homesick and ready to return
home, but now that I am here, I am not sure as to why I was ever in any
rush to get back. Why is it that we always seem to want what we can't
have?

As the end of my trip approached, I yearned for hot yoga, my family, my
friends, warm weather, my schedule, my comfort. I longed for my life
that was all too familiar, and now that I have had my fix, I am
satisfied and want to go back. For me, I feel like that is a recurring
theme in my life. I always want that instant gratification, and
sometimes I fail to see what is going to give me a lasting feeling of
fulfillment and joy. I wish I had spent those last few days of my trip
more freely instead of thinking about how exciting it was going to be to
return home. Now that I reflect on it, it seems crazy that thoughts like
that even passed through my mind. I will always have America and my
family to return to, so I should enjoy the time I have in another
country, especially one that I may never return to.

It seems ungrateful of me to say that after my trip to South America, I
am not satisfied; however, I am only unsatisfied in the sense that now I
have an even stronger desire to travel than before. After having such a
wonderful time abroad and sharing in new and interesting experiences, I
want to explore the world. I found that in every country there is
something unique and wonderful about their culture, and there is always
at least one beautiful thing worth seeing in a city. I met a number of
interesting people, and after talking with people from all over the
world, I learned that we are all alike. Although we may dress
differently, speak different languages, or even have different political
views, we all just want to enjoy life: live, love, eat, drink, and see
the wonders of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment