Monday, June 20, 2011

the way life should be





Today we went to Pisac, and it was absolutely amazing! Unlike yesterday’s excursion, our trip to Pisac was much more adventurous and within my attention span. Pisac is an old Inca city built on the peak of a mountain. The work and dedication that went into building an entire city at 11,000 ft above sea level is incredible; never in my life have I seen or experienced something so grand. The views from the top of the city are breathtaking, but what I found most interesting about the old Inca city is their trail. The Inca trail spans across 400,000 kilometers and was taken on a regular basis to deliver messages and food. Fortunately enough for me, I was able to experience the Inca trail for three hours today, as we hiked to the city of Pisac.


For the most part, I think that traveling with large groups is a burden, but I made sure that was not the case today. I scurried to the front of the group to insure that I would not be stuck behind the tortoise. As I hiked through the ruins, climbing and descending time after time, I couldn’t help but give into my legs. They flung out in front of me with little control, guiding me from rock to rock. I couldn’t help myself but to run and leap. After yesterday’s excursion, I was dying to explore and I wasn’t about to waste any time.


Finally after a wonderful and exciting three hours (although I have to admit, I paused my adventure to act like a tourist and take way too many pictures), we finally reached the city of Pisac. There we had lunch and browsed the open air market. I practiced my spanish and bargaining skills, and as proof to my success, I bought a turquoise ring for 18 soles (about $6).


After a superb day experiencing the wonders of Peru, I returned home to a relaxing and enjoyable night with my family Peruana. I helped Claudia with her math homework and then introduced her to Chromeo. Later, my family and I walked to the supermarcado, drank tea, and watched The Pursuit of Happiness dubbed in Spanish.


There is something calming to the life of Peru. When I think of my life back in the United States, I need a cup of coffee. School. Work. Gym. Homework. All I can think about is when I will find the time to fit all of this in one day, every day. Here in Peru, time is not so relevant, and no one is in a rush. You would never expect the person behind you in line at the grocery store to sigh or grumble if you have too many groceries or you choose to write a check. Family is important and every meal is shared. People walk everywhere and anywhere, sometimes walking just to walk and talk. I like it here, its peaceful. It’s simple. It’s how life should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment