Saturday, July 23, 2011

Machu Picchu




Machu Picchu really is all it is cracked up to be. At first, I was thinking that nothing could compare to the Amazon but Machu Picchu is just as amazing. We did the six hour hike to the top of Machu Picchu, but you can also backpack the Inca Trail for four days. One day, hopefully, I will return to Peru and do the Inca Trail.

The hike was beautiful. The bottom of Machu Picchu is at 6,000 ft and is part of the Amazon basin so it was much more tropical and hotter than I was expecting.

My journey to Machu Picchu seems like it came out of a movie. It was hot and beautiful all day. We were sweaty, but it was well worth it. After 6 hours of climbing stairs and hiking up 2,ooo ft, I finally reached the top in awe. Just as I was thinking things could be any better, it started to pour. It was as if Pacha Mama (mother earth in quechua, the language of the Incas) read my mind. After a long day of hiking, fresh crisp drops of rain against my skin was just what I had wished for. There is something spectacular to say about standing in the rain and admiring such a masterpiece as Machu Picchu. In that moment, I felt so small, yet powerful at the same time. I felt small in comparison to the grandness of Machu Picchu and the power of mother nature. I also felt like I was on top of the world and I could do anything. Seeing the hard work and dedication put into building an entire city on top of a secluded mountain really is inspiring.

The rain didn't last long, but long enough for me to realize my fortune. And of course, after every rainfall comes a rainbow.

Machu Picchu was a great way to end my trip in Cuzco. It is the heart of the city and the people here. It explains the general love of the culture and people in this country, and it also concludes everything I have felt this last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment